Are you considering adopting a mini pig as a pet? Mini pigs make wonderful pets for many reasons. Below are some oinkin’ facts about mini pigs as pets.
- Mini pigs are pigs that have been selectively downsized over many generations in order to produce a pig that stays small and can therefore make a great indoor pet. A mini pig will generally grow to 12–16 inches tall. What determines the eventual height & weight of a mini pig will vary dramatically, due to genetics, proper diet and exercise regimen. A true fully grown mini pig is comparable in size to a small to medium sized dog, but cannot be compared when it comes to their weight. Miniature pigs are dense, short and stout!
- Pigs are very smart. They are included among the world’s smartest animals alongside humans, apes and chimps, whales and dolphins, and elephants.
- Because they are so intelligent, pigs also learn very quickly. Piglets can learn their names when they are about 2-3 weeks. Pigs can also learn tricks faster than dogs. They are very easy to train and can even be sent to obedience school just as you would a puppy.
- Pigs are very clean animals and naturally relieve themselves far from where they eat or sleep. Therefore, pigs can be easily trained to use an indoor litter box.
- Pigs can also be trained to walk with a harness on a leash. Just as you would a dog, a walk or two a day can keep your mini pig happy and healthy.
- Pigs can be trained to use a doggy door which allows them easy access to both indoor and outdoor areas.
- Pigs make great alternatives for people allergic to dogs or cats because they are hypoallergenic. They make wonderful pets for people allergic to pet hair because pigs do not shed like most dogs and cats.
- Despite popular misconception, pigs are very clean! They do not have sweat glands so they cannot sweat. This makes them practically odor free.
- Unlike dogs and cats, pigs don’t pick up fleas.
- Pigs may occasionally grunt or perhaps squeal when picked up. Overall, they are quiet animals. Much quieter than a barking dog!
- Pigs have a long lifespan. They can live between 12-20 years.
- Pigs, like people, have unique personalities. Overall, they have a gentle and docile disposition and fantastic temperament. They are rarely aggressive.
- Pigs can be playful and therefore a lot of fun. They like to play with balls, baby toys, and toys for dogs and cats.
- Pigs don’t like to be carried much but they love to snuggle on your chest or lap. They can be extremely affectionate and make wonderful lap babies.
- Pigs are very low maintenance and often only require an annual vet visit.
- Pigs are very social creatures and will form bonds with family members as well as other pets.
If you are looking for a unique and loving companion that will be with you for many years, a mini pig may be the right choice for you. Before you make the decision to move forward with adopting your piggy friend, please read Is A Mini Pig The Right Pet For You? for more information on the care and responsibilities of owning these wonderful pets.